Vinnaren i pepparkakshustävlingen!
2018-05-08, 21:39
Medlem
Hi guys. My wife and I are moving to Stockholm in order to study at KTH. I'll be doing my PhD and my wife will be doing her MS and we are both in the IT/CS/software industries. I'll be quitting my full time job as a senior security engineer and my wife will be moving from full-time to only 10-15 hours per week while doing her MS. My income will be ~30000 SEK/month and my wife's income (working remotely as a consultant) will be around 20000 SEK/month, for a combined 50000 or so each month which isn't too bad to live on in Stockholm, especially as students!

We have around 400000 SEK to put on a down payment on a one bedroom apartment (I guess this is considered a "2 room" apartment in Sweden, according to hemnet.se at least) and since the minimum down payment is 15% that means we can at most spend around 2.5 million SEK on an apartment, but we are trying to stay closer to the 2-2.3 million range if possible. Of course, we also want to live in a somewhat safe neighborhood. We don't have kids and aren't planning on having kids at least until 5 years from now so schools are not as much of a concern, just the safety of the neighborhood.

From the "invandring" section of this forum it seems like a lot of Stockholm's suburbs have guaranteed rape and muggings at gunpoint each and every time you leave your home, though this seems like somewhat of a hyperbole to me, especially as someone who has lived and studied in the US. That said, we would definitely prefer a safer neighborhood!

So we are looking for a bostadsrätt apartment with one bedroom (50-80 square meters preferably) in a safe neighborhood within a 30-45 minute commute with the SL train/bus system to KTH. I've been doing some research and it seems like good candidates include places like Sollentuna, Täby (NOT the centrum area but some of the other areas are affordable) and Upplands Väsby. Jakobsberg has low prices as well but I have seen online that it can be somewhat of an unsafe area depending on where in the kommun you live.

My ideal living area would be in Stockholm city limits like Kungsholmen or Södermalm but those places are way too expensive. Who the hell can even afford these places on Swedish salaries??? 3.5 million SEK for a 25 square meter apartment (studio, not even one bedroom!!) is just insane to me. Seriously I have no idea how people even afford to live there.

Realistically though, Hägersten/Liljeholmen area seems pretty awesome since there are a lot of tech companies there and Gullmarsplan/Årsta area seems nice as well since they are both in close proximity to the city and KTH, but 2.5 million seems like the low end for a one bedroom place there so I would need to get lucky. The only brightside is that I will be buying in June when the Swedish market is slower since it is during the summer.

In the end, I would like to stay as close to the city as possible so I am within close proximity to the school but also so I can socialize and grab some beers are some cool bars whenever I would like.

I would definitely love some recommendations if you guys have any!
Citera
2018-05-08, 22:12
Medlem
Jakobsberg and Sollentuna would qualify in the "gunpoint" geographical section of Stockholm.

Because you also mentioned areas close to Gullmarsplan/Årsta, there are some suburbs that would fit in the range of a maximum 45 minute commute to KTH. I would personally recommend any of the following suburbs: Nacka, Tyresö, Saltsjö-Boo or Värmdö in large. These are in my personal opinion great places to live in, although they may lack in the variety of "cool bars" they are superb in the every other category.
Citera
2018-05-08, 22:15
Medlem
Robinson-Merals avatar
One important thing to consider:
The imfamous swedish housing bubble is in it's final phase. It's bursting as we speak.

Areas you should consider, these are amongst the least rape-y ones:

North
Solna (both central Solna and the outskirts are fine)
Sundbyberg (apart from the areas bordering Rissne/Spånga)
(You should also consider the suburbs along Roslagsbanan (northbound train from Tekniska, next door to KTH)

West
Bromma (same as Nacka)

South
Liljeholmen and Årsta are both fine. Årsta has lots of dive bars and is also fairly close to Södermalm, which has even more dive bars (also regular bars). The downside is that it's farther from KTH.
Nacka (ok, but lacks bars)

Good luck in your search!
Senast redigerad av Robinson-Meral 2018-05-08 kl. 22:17.
Citera
2018-05-08, 22:24
Medlem
Hi and welcome! If I were you, I would definitely check out Bromma. It's close to the city, 10-12 min with the metro, close to water and other recreation areas, there's also an airport (smaller than Arlanda) from where you can fly to Berlin, Gothenburg, the northern parts of Sweden etc.
I would say Bromma is safe - or as safe as it can be these days...

Have a look at this link, it's a map from Hemnet and it also includes 24 apartments within you price range, even though they might be a bit smaller than your preferences. This is an area where it won't be any problems to sell, if you wish to move back or move somewhere else.

https://www.hemnet.se/bostader/karta...&rooms_min=1.5

Good luck and enjoy Stockholm!
Citera
2018-05-08, 23:47
tobess avatar
Just throwing this in there, in case you aren't aware, but KTH also offer a relocation service for those doing their PhD at KTH https://www.kth.se/en/om/work-at-kth...ation-1.517039

Not exactly sure what the service entails, but you might want to check with them.

As already stated, the market is not thriving at the moment and prices are currently going through a downwards trend. If you don't plan on staying for an extended period of time, it might make more sense to rent at the moment. That would also most likely bring you closer to the city.

With that said, Solna/Sundbyberg would probably suite you quite well. Quite close to KTH, relatively safe and you might be able to find a suitable apartment if you lower your standards slightly.
Citera
2018-05-09, 00:34
Medlem
Mörbylund / Iverness.
Will cost about 3 milion sek.

Very close to KTH.
Citera

Stöd Flashback

Flashback finansieras genom donationer från våra medlemmar och besökare. Det är med hjälp av dig vi kan fortsätta erbjuda en fri samhällsdebatt. Tack för ditt stöd!

Stöd Flashback