Vinnaren i pepparkakshustävlingen!
2017-09-01, 23:41
Medlem
Hi! Unfortunately I do not speak Swedish, but I am curious about gnats and mosquitoes in Sweden. I heard that the northern areas have a lot of those (especially gnats), however that doesn't make sense to me based on what I know. Which is - gnats and mosquitoes love humid weather, and in the north I presume it is quite dry.

Also, I have been to the south, around... Munkedal, Fjallbacka and Kristinehamn, I stayed there for a few days, and it was so many damn gnats that you couldn't even go out! Mosquitoes - haven't seen that many, but maybe I was offseason there.

Anyway, what I am wondering about is this: which parts of Sweden do not have (or have the fewest) gnats and mosquitoes (can answer separately), and why is it that way?
Citera
2017-09-02, 02:44
Medlem
-Andreas-s avatar
Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av sveskdude
Hi! Unfortunately I do not speak Swedish, but I am curious about gnats and mosquitoes in Sweden. I heard that the northern areas have a lot of those (especially gnats), however that doesn't make sense to me based on what I know. Which is - gnats and mosquitoes love humid weather, and in the north I presume it is quite dry.

Also, I have been to the south, around... Munkedal, Fjallbacka and Kristinehamn, I stayed there for a few days, and it was so many damn gnats that you couldn't even go out! Mosquitoes - haven't seen that many, but maybe I was offseason there.

Anyway, what I am wondering about is this: which parts of Sweden do not have (or have the fewest) gnats and mosquitoes (can answer separately), and why is it that way?

Well. Never been there myself, but my theory is;
The northern inland of Sweden don't have any coastal areas (speaks for itself) nor any larger lakes but do have mires and (yes) humidity enough for them gnats and mosquitoes to thrive there.

Which parts?
Stay near the coasts or uphill where the wind blows.
Sun keeps away those particular bugs and shit too.

Let's say the Gothenburg-to-Malmo west coast.. often windy, often sunny.
Citera
2017-09-02, 03:54
Medlem
Gustaf85s avatar
Welcome!

Typically April, May and June are nice and dry, as the summer comes and goes it gets wetter and soon it gets colder. November and December are shit basically until the humid air freezes and you're not as affected by the cold air. Winter with freezing temperature is mostly dry, dark and dead. On a cold lonesome winters night outdoors and away from home you may feel close to death. It is because you are.

No it's very wet in the north, look at the map and you'll see small lakes and streams everywhere. Every body of water on the map are freshwater from all the snowmelt and rainfall. When the warmth comes to the north those mosquitos hatch their eggs in standing water and then they multiply. Birds migrate to feed in the north but there's only so much they can do. Areas worse affected are those downstream of a hydroelectric dam where the water level raises and lower as the dam operates on and off.

Don't factor mosquitos as much as you do, there are other more important things to consider should you decide to settle down in Sweden.
Citera
2017-09-02, 11:51
vfs avatar
Jakt, fiske och vildmark --> Ekologi, natur, djur och växter
/Moderator
Citera
2017-09-02, 21:10
Medlem
Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av -Andreas-
Well. Never been there myself, but my theory is;
The northern inland of Sweden don't have any coastal areas (speaks for itself) nor any larger lakes but do have mires and (yes) humidity enough for them gnats and mosquitoes to thrive there.

Which parts?
Stay near the coasts or uphill where the wind blows.
Sun keeps away those particular bugs and shit too.

Let's say the Gothenburg-to-Malmo west coast.. often windy, often sunny.

Hmm, so my options are either stay in the south of Sweden (honestly, I do not want that), or uphill in an open area? Hmm. My idea imaginary place to live was in a forest between trees, but a bit higher up, a couple of hundred meters altitude. Sounds like that wouldn't work, would it?

Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av Gustaf85
Welcome!

Typically April, May and June are nice and dry, as the summer comes and goes it gets wetter and soon it gets colder. November and December are shit basically until the humid air freezes and you're not as affected by the cold air. Winter with freezing temperature is mostly dry, dark and dead. On a cold lonesome winters night outdoors and away from home you may feel close to death. It is because you are.

No it's very wet in the north, look at the map and you'll see small lakes and streams everywhere. Every body of water on the map are freshwater from all the snowmelt and rainfall. When the warmth comes to the north those mosquitos hatch their eggs in standing water and then they multiply. Birds migrate to feed in the north but there's only so much they can do. Areas worse affected are those downstream of a hydroelectric dam where the water level raises and lower as the dam operates on and off.

Don't factor mosquitos as much as you do, there are other more important things to consider should you decide to settle down in Sweden.

That was very interesting... I wonder where - and if - I could find a place that I am looking for. Basically I would imagine myself living further away from people (meaning no visible houses when I walk out of my house), preferably somewhere not too far into a pine and spruce forest, no mosquitoes or gnats. Of course electricity and everything is necessary, I am not looking for an offthegrid place, I just never liked cities or towns much, nor worked land. I like it natural. I also don't do well biologically in humid weather, I like dryer climate. And I do not know if I would actually like it, but I certainly like the idea of 24/7 sunlight and 24/7 nightsky without light pollution. I love the stars and the cosmos, it makes me feel good just to be out in the night like that.

I wrote that because you mentioned that there are more important things to consider. Maybe you could give me tips based off of that, or ideas. Thanks for mentioning it!

Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av vf
Jakt, fiske och vildmark --> Ekologi, natur, djur och växter
/Moderator
Thank you!
Citera
2017-09-03, 00:33
Medlem
Gustaf85s avatar
Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av sveskdude
I wrote that because you mentioned that there are more important things to consider. Maybe you could give me tips based off of that, or ideas. Thanks for mentioning it!

Work and salary together with the commuting situation, friends, family, culture, upbringing and sense of security. Those are what usually decides where people decide to locate. I notice how you mentioned none of those and that is either not serious, naive or both.
I sense you are a dreamer like those we call 'Hemnet-knarkare'..

(FB) Bostadsorter och områden
..and that is where you post those questions.
Don't get what you mean by worked land..you wan't to live next to a reserve? Fields and forests are maintained to some extent pretty much everywhere. Get your head together and present a new thread telling of your personal situation for answers, tips and discussion relative to your person, that's my tip.
Citera
2017-09-03, 01:33
Medlem
Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av Gustaf85
Work and salary together with the commuting situation, friends, family, culture, upbringing and sense of security. Those are what usually decides where people decide to locate. I notice how you mentioned none of those and that is either not serious, naive or both.
I sense you are a dreamer like those we call 'Hemnet-knarkare'..

(FB) Bostadsorter och områden
..and that is where you post those questions.
Don't get what you mean by worked land..you wan't to live next to a reserve? Fields and forests are maintained to some extent pretty much everywhere. Get your head together and present a new thread telling of your personal situation for answers, tips and discussion relative to your person, that's my tip.
Well, I am working online and have savings, therefore I do not need to commute (or use a car to shop or a bicycle, etc.), friends do not decide where I live because I can meet them if we both wish so. My main focus is on a romantic relationship rather than friendships to be honest. My family is dead to me, and I do not relate to the culture I was brought up in. I also feel secure everywhere. I lived outside for close to a year in my life, alone, without much money, so that shaped me up in that way.

I am, however, indeed a dreamer. But maybe not with the meaning you had in mind. I don't know. I am being completely serious with everything I write here though.

I will create a new thread in a few days or so, presenting my situation properly and with more details. I need to focus on write my thoughts down as you said. Thank you for the tip!
Citera

Stöd Flashback

Flashback finansieras genom donationer från våra medlemmar och besökare. Det är med hjälp av dig vi kan fortsätta erbjuda en fri samhällsdebatt. Tack för ditt stöd!

Stöd Flashback