Vinnaren i pepparkakshustävlingen!
2010-10-26, 18:10
Medlem
Psykotons avatar
Citat:
Ursprungligen postat av Psychorama
Ett annat namn är även "purple drank" vilket även råkar vara lil waynes favorit drug of choise :P De brukar väl innehålla både kodein och DXM?

"Purple codeine sprite paint don't wasted, Mix it up grandma drank it than tasted, Now grandma sippin syrup leanin wasted..."

Ja det stämmer, "purple" och "syrup" är vanliga slangtermer, kommer från att hostmedicinen, som användes i början av 00-talet, var lila (och innehöll kodein och prometazin).

Intressant att hostmedicin kan skapa en hel subkultur inom musiken, så jag klipper in lite fakta om sydstatsfenomenet "purple drank" från wikipedia.

"Purple drank is a slang term for a recreational drug popular in the hip hop community in the southern United States, originating in Houston, Texas. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.[1] Cough syrup is typically mixed with ingredients such as Sprite soft drink or Mountain Dew and pieces of Jolly Rancher candy. The purplish hue of purple drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup.

There are numerous slang terms for purple drank, including sizzurp,[2][3][4][5][6] lean,[1][3][4][7] syrup,[3][5][8] drank,[5][9] barre,[5] purple jelly,[4][5] and Texas tea.[9]"

History

"Houston, Texas producer DJ Screw popularized the concoction, which is widely attributed as a source of inspiration for the "chopped and screwed" style of hip hop music.[3][10] Originally, the active ingredient of "syrup" was cough syrup containing promethazine and codeine. The concoction first gained popularity in the underground rap scene in Houston,[10] where musician Big Hawk said it was consumed as early as the 1960s and 1970s, becoming more widespread in the early 1990s.[11] Its use later spread to other southern states.[3]

In June 2000, Three 6 Mafia's single "Sippin' on Some Syrup," featuring UGK, brought the term "purple drank" to a nationwide audience.[2] Three 6 Mafia's single "Rainbow Colors" featuring Lil' Flip pertains to the consumption of purple drank; the addition of a Jolly Rancher candy to a cup of purple drank creates a spectrum of colors, hence the name. "Rainbow colors" can also refer to a mix of different narcotic cough syrups containing codeine, hydrocodone, and various other antihistamines, expectorants, and such. So-called "yellow syrup" is a blend of XR hydrocodone and atropine or chlorpheniramine and "pink syrup" is Cheratussin AC brand codeine and guaifenesin. Cheratussin AC (and other similar brands), which is legal for over-the-counter purchase in some states (e.g., Washington), is sometimes seen as an alternative to purple and yellow syrup.

In 2004, the University of Texas found that 8.3% of secondary school students in Texas had taken codeine syrup to get high.[3] The Drug Enforcement Administration reports "busts" involving syrup across the southern United States, particularly in Texas and Florida.[3]"

Ingredients

"The most popular type of codeine syrup is promethazine-codeine, a prescription cough syrup. The active ingredients are codeine, a narcotic, and the antihistamine medication promethazine. When taken in large quantities, both medications can lead to sedation and altered levels of consciousness.[1] The addition of these antihistamines is intended to deter abuse at high doses (in doses higher than recommended, effects produce extreme somnolence, weakness and may even cause fatal respiratory depression). In lower doses, these potentiate the opiates.

Prescription cough syrups containing hydrocodone are also used to make the drink, though they are less popular.[12] Songs like "Sippin' on Some Syrup" by Three 6 Mafia refer to Tussionex, a yellow cough syrup containing extended-release hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine (another antihistamine).[13] Other hydrocodone-containing syrups such as Histinex HC, Hycotuss, and Hycodan may also be used but have the addition of atropine to deter abuse.[citation needed] Syrup also is made with over-the-counter cough syrups such as Robitussin DM, which contain dextromethorphan as the cough suppressant. Although dextromethorphan is used recreationally, it has dissociative effects as opposed to narcotic. Dextromethorphan is a synthetic morphine analog that has been on the market in the United States since the 1960s. It is a cough suppressant in small doses, but in large doses it can result in a disassociative state, with hallucinations, similar to that produced by PCP or ketamine.[12]

Promethazine-codeine contains 10 mg of codeine and 6.25 mg of promethazine per 5 mL.[14]

Some users report that the large amount of sugar in drank causes them to experience weight gain, tooth decay, and other medical symptoms.[15]"

Mentions in music

"In addition to its popularization in the music of DJ Screw and Three 6 Mafia, the mixture has been referenced in lyrics of other rappers. It is the subject of UGK's "Sippin and Spinnin" and "Purple Drank", as well as tracks by D12, Eminem, Lil' Wyte, Big Moe,[16][17] Lil Boosie, Far East Movement, Paul Wall, Esham, Mike Jones, Kanye West, T.I., Rick Ross, Lil' Flip, Lil' Wayne, Ludacris, Fat Joe, Beanie Sigel,[12] Project Pat, Chamillionaire, Lou Bega, Jim Jones, The Game, Slim Thug, Fat Pat, Frayser Boy, Will Smith, Gorilla Zoe, Z-Ro, Youngbloodz, 8Ball, Papoose, Drake, Jae Millz, Mack Maine, Gucci Mane [18] Plies, Tech N9ne, Trae and Young Buck.

New Orleans rapper Lil' Wayne has publicly acknowledged his use of purple drank, and he frequently mentions drinking purple drank in his lyrics.[9] In the Duffle Bag Boy music video he can be seen holding a Styrofoam cup with "RIP DJ Screw" written on it. In his freestyle to "Throw Some D's" on his mixtape Da Drought 3 he claims "I'm not a rookie, I'm a pro..methazine fiend" as well as stating "You know what's in my Styrofoam...what? S-Y-R-UP." He also mentions the substance in the track "Barry Bonds" from Kanye West's Graduation album, saying "My drink is still pinker than the Easter Rabbit," an overt reference to the color of the beverage. Wayne makes a similar reference in DJ Khaled's song, "We Takin' Over." Wayne says, "...and I like my Sprite Easter pink."[9] In the album Tha Carter III, the song "Phone Home", includes the lyrics "I'm used to promethazine, in two cups, I'm screwed up". His song "Me and My Drank" is dedicated to his use of purple drank and the song "Kush" mentions purple drank in the line "Keep a bandanna like the Ninja Turtles, I'm like a turtle, when I sip the purple." In his appearance on Gorilla Zoe's song "Lost", Wayne raps "...and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'ma keep the Styrofoam with me", with the end of the line being "chopped and screwed". Rapper Nicki Minaj mentioned the drink in her single, "Mind on My Money." She raps, "...and when I come, they better lean like promethazine."[citation needed] Seattle rapper, Macklemore, has a single, Otherside, that directly refers to the substance and the addictive affects it has.

References to the substance are appearing in other musical genres. Southern punk band Black Lips' song "I Saw A Ghost (Lean)" is about a trip on purple drank.[citation needed] In addition, the legal commercial product named "Drank" is depicted in several music videos, including the Pussycat Dolls music video for "Bottle Pop," the Flo Rida video for the song "Sugar," and the Keri Hilson video for the single "Turnin Me On."[19]

In the 2010 song by Dev called "Booty Bounce" the drink is mentioned as well as Three 6 Mafia "...sippin sizzurp in my ride, like Three 6..." This same verse was used in the song, "Like a G6" by Far East Movement featuring Dev, herself."
Senast redigerad av Psykoton 2010-10-26 kl. 18:19.
Citera

Stöd Flashback

Flashback finansieras genom donationer från våra medlemmar och besökare. Det är med hjälp av dig vi kan fortsätta erbjuda en fri samhällsdebatt. Tack för ditt stöd!

Stöd Flashback